Marsh at Middleton Place Kayak Tour
We could not have asked for a better experience kayaking on the Ashley river in the vicinity of Middleton Place than the one offered by Charleston Kayak Co. First off, the Middleton Inn is a quiet, natural and architecturally unique destination within walking access to the river and “boat launch”. Our guide was easy to contact and communicate with, making the set-up process a snap. Solid paddling skills introduction and quality equipment, including dry bags, were provided. The guide offered exceptional insight on the local flora/fauna and the history of the area while proceeding at a leisurely paddling pace.
Escape the hustle and bustle of downtown and experience one of the best kayak tours in Charleston. The Ashley River is one of the most significant river systems to the history of Charleston, South Carolina, and it looks today much like it did hundreds of years ago. Our guided kayak tours depart from the banks of the Upper Ashley River at Middleton Place. This 2 hour tour offers views of the Middleton Place Grounds as we paddle past abandoned rice fields dating from the 1700s. Our location puts you right in the middle of a 22 mile stretch that makes up the lowcountry’s only waterway designated as a state scenic river corridor. This translates into a pristine feel on the water, with very little development or boat traffic. You will have a chance to explore some of the smaller tidal creeks that twist and turn away from the main river.
No matter what time of year, the upper Ashley River can be home to abundant wildlife. Egrets, Herons, Raptors, Rails, and many more bird species can be spotted. Depending on the season, we also have the opportunity to see the occasional Bottlenose Dolphin, Mantee, or American Alligators! These guided kayak tours are offered year round on a regularly scheduled basis, or can be arranged as a private tour. This trip is suitable for any skill level paddler, and stable yet nimble single or double kayaks are provided.
Morning on the Marsh at Middleton Place
Get out on the water with a naturalist guide on this 2 hour kayak tour timed to avoid the more intense heat and pop-up thunderstorms prevalent in the summer months. Explore the undeveloped state scenic river corridor of the Ashley river and its many tributaries and canals.
- March-September= Mon, Tues, Thur, Saturday, Sunday @ 9:30am*
- *departure times vary occasionally based on tidal considerations
- October-November= @ 10:30am
- December-Febuary= booked by request
- 2 hour event
- $49 per person Adult
- No experience necessary
- Single or Tandem Kayak(s)
- Professional Naturalist Guide
- Other days and times may be available by request, so just call or email for further options
- For Summer months afternoon trips booked by request, or check out the self-guided rentals
Twilight Marsh Adventure at Middleton
- Tuesday and Thursday 6:30pm May-August
- 2-2.25 hour event
- $55 per person
- Professional Naturalist Guide
- Other days by request for groups of 4 or more, or smaller parties we can try to pair up with other folks.
State Scenic Corridor Shuttle Trip
- 3-3.25 hr event *includes 15 minute shuttle
- One way paddle taking advantage of tides/currents
- No experience necessary, but is a slightly longer trip
- Scheduled based around tidal conditions
- Other times available by request for groups of 4 or more
- $69 per person Adult- $52 per Child
- Please Call for availability
- Times may vary based on tide and seasonal weather conditions.
- Check online calendar or call for specifics.
- Summer Months of June-September, our regularly scheduled trips typically begin at 9:30am
- For the summer months, afternoon trips can be arranged at no additional cost, but due to seasonal weather patterns morning is strongly recommended.
- If you don’t see a time/date that your looking for, don’t hesitate to ask, we can often accommodate any departure time with advance reservation.
- $49 per person Adult *choice of Single or Tandem Kayak
- Children $34 *12 and under when riding in a double kayak with an adult
- Family tours are typically arranged independent of groups without kids to ensure the best experience for everyone. However during peak seasons this may be unavoidable. Prior notice will be given when possible.
- Includes guide, gear, and tax.
- Optional gratuity may be added at the conclusion of your trip if you feel your guide provided exceptional service.
- No additional entrance fees or parking are required. *Access to the historic gardens does require additional fees if you want to visit that portion of the property
Length of tour
- All activities include basic safety briefing and paddle instruction
- Can be tailored to suite the skill level of the group
- Suitable for both beginners or seasoned paddlers.
- 3 hour trips are generally available by request at an additional cost of $15 per person for those who just want a bit more on water time.
- Begins at Lodge building at the Inn at Middleton Place.
- Gated Parking, restrooms, storage locker and food& beverage service available
- There are 2 entrances to Middleton Place, if coming from Charleston be sure to take the first entrance, labeled The Inn at Middleton Place, not the entrance for the plantation and gardens
- We are a gated property, so advance reservations are required to gain access to the property
- Larger groups will be scheduled as a private tour
- Small groups may request private trip, but additional cost may be associated.
- We advise making reservations as far in advance as possible to ensure availability for the activity and time/date your interested in.
- We do our best to accommodate last minute requests, but can not guarantee availability without a reservation.
- You can book some programs on our online calendar (green book-now button), or give us a call or drop an email.
*all images on this site are taken on location during actual outings in the areas we explore, and are the property of Charleston Kayak Company and its agents.