Special Events and Specialty Tours
We like to mix things up and try and take advantage of the plethora of great paddling options around the low country of South Carolina, and our special event and specialty tours allow us to do just that. We offer these trips as open group paddles that anyone can join on certain dates, but most can also be arranged as custom private events at other times (although some trips are seasonal). Just let us know if you have questions about a specific activity, or would like to try an arrange for an alternative date (custom outings generally have a minimum of 4 participants or a minimum rate to arrange).
FLOMO at Charleston Woodlands
Join us at Charleston Woodlands for a fun filled day of music, bbq, and outdoor recreation! We will be providing kayak and SUP rentals to explore the pristine lakes, or take in some fishing. Rentals can be reserved ahead of time, or just stop by and see us and we can get you set.
A full day of barbecue, live music, and outdoor recreation to help people affected by Hurricanes Florence and Michael. Graze on a good, old-fashioned barbecue from the folks at Poogan’s Smokehouse, while basking in the beautiful, outdoor setting of Charleston Woodlands. Proceeds from the event go to Operation BBQ Relief, an organization that Poogan’s Hospitality Group chef/partner Daniel Doyle volunteered with in eastern NC following Hurricane Florence. This event will help OBR continue their important work around the U.S., both now and in the future.
One Americana & Michael Freund Band will provide live music, and attendees are welcome to participate in kayaking, biking, hiking, fishing and other outdoor recreational activities. Attendees are also invited to camp overnight on Nov. 10 and 11. The BBQ Picnic will be served from Noon to 6:00 p.m. for a cost of $15. Children under 12 receive free admission.
Revel on the River!
As part of a whole weekend of events, join Charleston Kayak Company and Charleston Waterkeeper for a unique experience on the beautiful and historic Ashley River. As part of the Revel on the River weekend, this paddle will highlight the Ashley River’s most historic and ecological valuable stretch with naturalist discussion by your guides at Charleston Kayak Company, and your Charleston Waterkeeper, Andrew J. Wunderley, Esq. We will also be doing some river clean-up along the way, because hey, that’s who we are! 100% of proceeds raised will go to support your Charleston Waterkeeper and the important work they do!
Friday 5-7pm at Freehouse Brewery enjoy a short film by “The Folly Llamma” Jonathan Cummings about the Ashley River. Stay for music, great drinks, and some conservation community bonding.
Saturday 1-5pm at The Bend for demos, music, vendors, food trucks and great brews at a fantastic setting. FREE!
Sunday 9-12pm at Middleton Place : Conservation paddle and clean-up event with Charleston Kayak Company & Waterkeeper
Charleston Harbor Paddle and Fossil Hunting
Join us for a naturalist guided paddle on the historic Charleston Harbor. Take in the stunning views in all directions framed out by historic downtown Charleston, the Ravenel Bridge, and Fort Sumter National Monument. We will make our way towards Fort Sumter and Morris Island, and make a stop on an unveloped beach with opportunities for shelling, relics, and fossil hunting. This trip can be very calm and glassy water, or it can be a little more chop and water moving, so we typically rate this as an intermediate level trip. Its not a particularly long paddle time, but more potential wind exposure and moving water make conditions a little less predictable.
DATES COMING SOON
- Appx 2.5-3 hour outing (*includes appx 45 minutes stop on island)
- $60 per person
- Some Kayak experience recommended
- Expect to get feet wet and potentially muddy on this adventure *(secure footwear required)
- We can get very close to Fort Sumter, but does not include a stop at the National Monument
- Dolphins are a regular highlight on this outing
Full Moon Paddle
Join us for one of our monthly Full moon paddle trips on the marsh. Depart in time to catch the golden hour as the sun sets over the marsh, and the full moon rises over the horizon. This approximately 2 hour trip is a great way to get a different perspective on the estuary and beat the heat of the day. Spots are limited, so be sure to reserve your space!
Full Moon at Folly
June 28th @ 7:30pm – July 26th @ 7:30pm – August 26th @ 7pm- September 24th @ 6pm
- $60 per person Single or Double Kayaks
- Bring your own boat $35
- Naturalist guided excursion
- No experience necessary, but part of the paddle time will be after sunset
- All equipment provided including safety lighting
4 Strokes and Paddle Strokes
We love boating with a 4 stroke engine behind us, and we love self-powered craft, so why not combine the best of both worlds. On this special adventure, we load up in our 24ft Carolina Skiff, and power out to one of our many undeveloped hummock islands or barrier islands. From there, we throw the paddle boards on the water and head out to explore some of the smaller creeks and waterways. This strategy allows us to avoid the bigger and windier waterways, and to maximize our opportunities to explore the more intimate creeks and wildlife rich areas away from civilization. These trips vary a bit as far as what beach or island we go to, as we often let the wind and tide dictate what is best on a given day. The paddle portion typically involves an instructional period on land, and a guide to be on the water with you initially, with time to explore on your own as well.
NEW DATES COMING SOON
- No experience necessary
- Typically 2.5-3 hour outing
- Secure footwear you don’t mind getting wet is a must
- Small group outings typically from 4-6 people, but can be arranged for larger groups.
- $75 per person all inclusive of boat, captain, paddle board instruction, and board/equipment rental.
River Sweep Clean up Events
Why not spend part of your day having fun on the water with other like-minded folks, while making a positive impact on our local waterways at the same time? Join us for one of our river clean-up events and do just that. We try to host regularly scheduled clean up events from different sites around the low country, and often look to pair up with local conservation groups and business’ to get volunteers out. Come join one of our scheduled events, or arrange a special event for your group or company!
NEW DATES COMING SOON
- Most river sweeps we ask for a $10 rental fee for using our equipment to help off-set expenses
- Bring your own watercraft and join for no cost
- Make a donation of $25 or more, and 100% of your fee goes to scholarship a middle school student on a Y20 (Youth to Ocean) outdoor and environmental education program. These guys help underserved student populations have on water learning experiences while kayaking, paddle boarding, surfing, and coastal island explorations. Learn More
- Be sure to check out Charleston Waterkeeper for additional opportunities to serve our water based communities
ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge
Just to the south of Charleston lies one of the largest contiguous protected wetland systems in the lower 48; the ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge. This intricate network of rivers, creeks, canals, and abandoned rice field wetlands, offers world class wildlife habitat and endless opportunities to explore by water. Join one of our special event paddles, or get together your own crew and arrange a custom outing, either way is sure to be a experience you will remember for a lifetime.
NEW DATES COMING SOON
- Several different paddles and departure points for these trips, all of which are 45 minutes-1.5 from Charleston proper
- Although not necessarily a more strenuous or technical paddle, some trips are a bit longer paddle time
- $65-95 per person depending on the outing
- Give us a call to arrange a custom outing for parties of 4 or more