The Ashley at Middleton Place
Escape the hustle and bustle of downtown and experience one of the best kayak tours in Charleston. The Ashley River is one of the most significant river systems to the history of Charleston, South Carolina, and it looks today much like it did hundreds of years ago. Our guided kayak tours depart from our private access along the banks of the Upper Ashley River at Middleton Place. This 2 hour tour offers views of the Middleton Place Grounds as we paddle past abandoned rice fields dating from the 1700s. Our location puts you right in the middle of a 22 mile stretch that makes up the lowcountry’s only waterway designated as a state scenic river corridor. This translates into a pristine feel on the water, with very little development or boat traffic. You will have a chance to explore some of the smaller tidal creeks that twist and turn away from the main channel.
No matter what time of year, the upper Ashley River can be home to abundant wildlife. Egrets, Herons, Raptors, Rails, and many more bird species can be spotted. Depending on the season, we also have the opportunity to see the occasional Bottlenose Dolphin, Mantee, or American Alligators! These guided kayak tours are offered year round on a regularly scheduled basis, or can be arranged as a private tour. This trip is suitable for any skill level paddler, and stable yet nimble single or double kayaks are provided.
March-April 11am daily
May-Sept 9:30 daily
- Available year-round
- Departure times vary occasionally based on tidal considerations
- Other days and times not on schedule may be available by request, so just call or email for further options
Length: 2 hour event.
- No experience necessary
Where: Meets: The Inn at Middleton Place
- 4290 Ashley River Rd 29414 Charleston, SC
- 2-10 participants. For quality of tour experience, we keep the public tours small in size.
- For private trips we can accommodate groups of most any size.
- Only 2 adults required for a trip to depart
- Individual paddlers can register but a trip must have at least 2 registered adults for a trip to go
- Private Trips may be available by advance request *minimum rates apply
- $34 per Child 12 & under – riding in double kayak with adult. Must have 2 people at full price to qualify for rate.
- Gratuity for guides is greatly appreciated when you feel the service has warranted. We take great pride in providing professional naturalist guides for our outings and want to do everything we can to keep them on their passion trail!
- Professional Naturalist Guide
- Basic instruction pre-tour
- Private River access
- Gated Parking and Private Restrooms
- Choice of Single or Double Kayak and all associated equipment
- Drybag for phone/camera available for loan