Self-Guided Kayak & SUP Rentals
If you prefer to paddle and explore on your own, then our kayak rentals program at Middleton Place may be for you! We offer kayak rentals departing from our private kayak landing on the State Scenic Corridor of the Ashley River. Its just a few minutes up the road from Charleston, but it feels like a world away from the busy waters closer to the harbor. Our location on the upper Ashley provides one of the quietest waterways in the Charleston area to explore by kayak.
Our kayak rental program includes basic safety orientation, skills instruction, and all the gear you need to be safe on the water. One of our staff members will meet you at our private on-water location at your appointment time, and get you prepared to hit the water. We will provide a kayaking map, and suggest potential routes based on tidal conditions and how long you intend to spend on the water. We will provide a basic skills instruction, and a safety briefing before helping you get your kayak launched.
All basic kayak rentals leave and return to our private kayak landing at Middleton Place. Our standard kayak rental allows for up to 2.5 hours of use of the equipment, which for most folks is plenty of time to explore. However, more time can be arranged at the time of booking if you have a longer trip in mind. We recommend touching base ahead of time to get some input planning your trip if you intend to spend more time on the water.
Most kayaking areas in Charleston are tidally effected, and our location at Middleton Place is no different. We experience a full tidal change which averages around 5.5ft. We can always offer suggestions for kayak rental departure times based on the tides, but in general there are good paddling options regardless of tide.
- Reservations are required to gain entrance to property
- Day of appointments are typically available
- Kayak rentals have access to tidal river area only (no access to the blackwater swamp)
- We use sit inside touring style kayaks and hybrid open cockpit sit inside boats.
- We do not have sit-on-top style kayaks, but will be sure to place everyone in an appropriate fitting boat
- Paddleboard Rentals are seasonal, please call to arrange if not available on-line