Blackwater Cypress Swamp Kayak Tour
The Blackwater Cypress Swamp kayak tour at The Woodlands Nature Reserve offers a unique opportunity to kayak in one of South Carolina’s most mysterious and enchanting ecosystems. Kayak under the towering canopy of cypress trees, as your guide helps to navigate the narrow and winding blackwater trail. Our guides are passionate about sharing a wealth of information about the unique plants, animals, and history of the bottomland forest. The swamp kayak tour offers a quite and solitude that can be hard to find these days. Migratory ducks, raptors, herons, woodpeckers, owls, turtles white tail deer, wild pigs, and the occasional alligator are just a few of the animals that can be spotted while kayaking.
Updated details for remainder of 2020 Blackwater Swamp Season:
- Offering trip dates from thru June 1st 2020 *water-levels allowing
- All swamp trips are conducted as private outings only. This is due to the fact that we must shuttle guests from our office, to the paddle location on the property. Due to protocol changes in response to Covid-19, we are only offering private shuttles.
- Regular rate of $74 per person applies, however there is a 4 person or $296 minimum for a private outing
- Mosquitoes are typically not a problem when paddling, but there can be some around the launch site as we prepare to take off, so repellant is recommended.
- All Equipment and shuttle vehicle are disinfected after each trip
- Custom times/ Dates may be available by request
- Unfortunately due to seasonal patterns, it is unlikely the season can be extended beyond June 1st. It is expected to resume October of 2020.
$74 per person Adult
$64 per Child 5-12 years
October 15th 2019– June 1st 2020
10am & 2pm – Daily by reservation
Small group sizes for public trips, so advance reservations strongly recommended
- Custom Times and dates may be available by request *minimums may apply
- 3 hr event – Includes the appx. 15 minute scenic shuttle drive through the Woodlands Nature Reserve
- No experience necessary, any skill level.
4290 Ashley River Rd 29414 Charleston, SC
* Paddle takes place at The Woodlands Nature Preserve (Adjacent to Middleton Place)
- 2-9 participants. For quality of tour experience, we keep the public tours small in size.
- For private trips we can accommodate groups of most any size.
- Only 2 adults required for a trip to depart
- Individual paddlers can register but a trip must have at least 2 registered adults for a trip to go
- Private Trips may be available by advance request *minimum rates apply
- We often recommend use of tandem kayaks on the swamp tour, but singles are available by request at the time of booking.
- $54 per Child 12 & under – riding in double kayak with adult. Must have 2 people at full price to qualify for rate.
- We try to avoid mixing family groups, and paddlers traveling without kids to create the best environment for everyone. However, during peak seasons it is occasionally unavoidable (late march-Mid April). If this is particularly importance to you, feel free to reach out with questions.
- Gratuity for guides is greatly appreciated when you feel the service has warranted. We take great pride in providing professional naturalist guides for our outings and want to do everything we can to keep them on their passion trail!
The swamp offers protections from any currents or wind, so the kayaking is very laid back and generally suitable for any experience level. However, the swamp can be quite shallow and the “trail” often narrow, so expect a pretty slow pace while kayaking through the trees and cypress knees. Our swamp is private, which means you will not encounter any other people while kayaking, a true wilderness experience!